Est. 2015

Est. 2015

Sunday, May 1, 2016

10 Years

I can't even believe that I am writing this ..... but ... today marks 10 years since my Dad left his earthly home and gained his Angel Wings.  A whole decade .. 
Our last Christmas Picture all together
As a young 30 year old, I have officially spent one third of my life on this earth without my Dad along side me. There's days it seems like forever since I've seen him, and there's days that it only feels like yesterday.  


No one can even begin to explain the pain of losing a parent especially at the young age of 53. Heart disease is real, and it's this ugly, painful disease that took the life of a husband, father, brother, uncle and VERY proud grandfather. 


I have spent the last weeks reminiscing about my Dad and all the great times we had together.  Some of my greatest memories of him are:
-Him laying on the ground in the backyard because our cat had ran under the shed.  Mom looks out the window and sees him on the ground and immediately screams "RICHARDDDDDDDD", she thought something had happened.  Actually, he was just trying to save the family cat. 
-Eating Peanut Butter with a spoon out of the jar while sitting with his legs crossed "cackling" at some tv show.
-His pride a joy of the Oldwieler Family Farm. If you didn't know, you would've thought this man was born and bred a farmer.  Nothing made him happier than using his vacation time from work to help in the fall and spring on the farm.  Give that man a tractor and an open field and he is at peace.  (I can only imagine him with his own farm in Heaven.  That is exactly what he would want)
-Weekly phone calls while in college.  You better believe Dad would call me when there was a storm that could possibly hit Jacksonville.  I wouldn't have to watch the news because he would always inform me of the approximate time of arrival.  Of course, if it was during farming season, he'd be calling to check the weather, so he'd know what to expect before it made it to Decatur. 
-His love for the State Fair.  Every year we would visit the state fair during the hottest time of August.  Most years he'd struggle walking at times, but you better believe we had to go.  He loved going, and nothing was going to stop him. 
-His love of people.  Dad knew someone EVERYWHERE he went, and if he knew them, he would talk to them.  Quick trips to the store were never "quick" if you took Dad, and he ran into someone (or everyone) that he knew. He was such a people person.
-His dedication to his job.  Dad was always working.  Whether he was on vacation, at home, at Grandma's, or even IN the hospital. He definitely fits what I would call a "workaholic".
-His love for "new" cars.  Most of the time, these cars weren't brand new, but they were new to him.  Whenever he'd get a wild hair, he would go cruise through the car lots to see what kind of deals he could find.  There was one time that he bought a newer van for Mom and a newer car for Amy in the same day!  Why not buy two cars in one day if the price is right?  ha! 
-Most of all, Dad was a dedicated family man.  I can honestly say my Mom, siblings, and I were extremely lucky to have a man that had such a deep and caring love for his family.  He worked hard to provide for us, would give the shirt off of his back if we needed anything, and supported us through all of life's endeavors.  He was the proud Dad on the side lines (or doing the score book) at the sporting events.  He just loved family time. 

Every year without him has had it's tough moments.  After all, in the blink of an eye, we were left to take on this world without him.  

This past year was one of the hardest for me.  Every girl dreams of the day her Dad gets to walk her down the aisle on her wedding day as well as the long-lived Father-Daughter Dance.  Sadly, that dream of mine was unable to come true.  Instead of walking me down the aisle, I carried my bouquet with a precious picture of him attached. Thankfully, my sister and I were lucky enough have our 2 brothers stand in his place.  That was the 2nd best, but I'd give anything to go back in time and be able to have the moment with my father
. 

Looking back on these 10 years, life has changed soooo much!  Our family has grown, and grown, AND  GROWN!  In these 10 years, Dad has gained a daughter-in law, 3 son-in-laws (I just have to include Robert, because I know they're enjoying their time together now), 1 granddaughter, 1 more grandson, and another granddaughter on the way!  Wow, has this family changed. 

Dad would be so proud of each and every one of us.
-Mom - for finding her way through life.  It definitely hasn't been an easy road, but she's found a way to keep this family together and happy.  
- the 4 of us kids for finding our way through life.  It isn't easy, but we all seem to work our way through each and every day. 
-I know that with his love of sports he finds his way to the side lines of Dylan and Jacob's football games cheering them on, he's also beaming with pride for Brynzlee and Landon as well.  


We have him and our Mom to thank for creating such a large, loving and wonderful family!  I strive to carry on his legacy through each and every day.


1985

1990

1995

2002
Thank you, Dad for creating our family, for loving us and supporting us.  I know I will see you again one day right through the gates of Heaven and I just know we'll hear how the weather has been since you've been there. 

I strive to carry on the Roe tradition! 

Never take life for granted! 

No comments:

Post a Comment